Problems with Kernel 2.6.12.1 on FC3 / FC4

I've got a couple of boxes happily running FC3 and FC4 here. Since things were working so perfectly, I decided to try the latest kernel from kernel.org.

Built kernel 2.6.12.1 with my custom config file (same one I use for 2.6.11 successfully) on both boxes. Build seemed a little flakey on the FC4 box (lots of warnings), but WTH. Things seemed perfectly fine on the FC3 box.

FC3 - boots fine, get runaway klogd process. klogd using 100% CPU doing "read (0, "", 4096) with rc = 0 in a tight loop. I stopped syslog and I'm currently running this kernel. No other problems.

FC4 - boots fine, cannot login. Get login prompt, enter user id and password, fails, returns to login prompt. Messages file indicates that there is a pam problem getting/updating the groupid <something> (don't have the log handy, but it definitely was a pam failure). Reverted back to the FC4 kernel.

Anybody got any suggestions for fixing these problems?

Thanks,

John