Re: media check fail

Knute Johnson wrote:
I've read several people say they did a SHA1SUM on the disks. Is that possible or did they actually do it to the ISO file? If it is possible, could some body tell me how to do it?

Thanks,

For what you have on the hard drive: sha1sum something.iso

For what you have burnt:
a. mount the cdr
b. df
c, get the number of 1 k blocks on the cdrom device, divide that by 2 to get the number of 2k sectors.
d. unmount the cdr
d. readcd dev=/dev/hdc f=- sectors=0-<number of 2k sectors> | sha1sum

To avoid read errors or incorrect sha1sum do not use readcd without specifying the sector count.

Substitute /dev/<your device> for /dev/hdc as required.

If you are using a dvd device to read your cdr you might get away with:
dd if=/dev/hdc bs=2048 count=<number of 2k sectors> | sha1sum
instead of readcd.

HTH Bob