fc3 enabling sound in text mode

First for any blind users this is essential since system-sound-config does not work in text mode and sound is necessary to have proved operational before a blind sysadmin starts up gnopernicus unless a braille display is available or sight is sufficient to use magnification. I found alsa-utils package not to be in the yum repository so downloading this package from the alsa-project site and getting the right version downloaded is essential. A build of that package followed by a run of the alsaconf script and the sysadmin needs to agree to have /etc/modules.conf modified will get everything working with an es1371 card though .rc.alsasound isn't found so a sound won't play during configuration. Once done I usually use aumix -v 100;aumix -p 100;aumix -c 100;aumix -m 100 to raise the volumes and alsactl store to save the settings.. After that, aplay -q /usr/share/sounds/generic.wav or play /usr/share/sounds/generic.wav should produce some sound on the speakers. With other sound cards your mileage may vary.