RE: Which version to use, FC2 or FC3?

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Paul Howarth
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 7:28 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Which version to use, FC2 or FC3?

Jason Hoffert wrote:
> I'm trying to decide which release of Fedora to use. I have installed
> FC3 on my laptop about 5 times now, and after running updates, or
> installing what I would think are minor applications, within days, the
> laptop will stop booting properly. Today, it is hanging on "Red Hat nash
> version 4.1.18 starting."  The last few times, the computer would hang
> when running XWindows and I never saw a logon screen. Being new to Linux
> but fairly savvy with computers, I tried to troubleshoot the problem,
> and it may have been something with the synaptics driver (or whatever is
> used for my touch pad mouse), but I couldn't fix it.
>

> Is FC2 any worse then FC3? Is there a reason I should lean towards one
> over the other?  My goal over the next 6 -12 months is to setup a
> Postfix server with MySQL, PHP, and an admin frontend, like PostfixAdmin.

FC3 is like FC2 but with lots of bugfixes.

FC4 will be out on 6th June. Why not wait a bit and give that a try?

Paul.

Just to throw my 2 cents in, if the machine hangs, sometimes its because it
cannot figure out its own name via name lookup.
I had similar case like yours.

It would hang every time I got so feed up with it I left it on and it
eventually finished booting.
Xwindows would have a similar problem.

I finally figured out that it's the can't figure out its own name problem.