Re: Alias issues in Apache 2.0

Richard Crawford wrote:

I'm missing something fundamental in how Apache works, I think.

In /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, I have the following Alias declaration:

Alias /icons/ "/var/www/icons/"

<Directory "/var/www/icons">
   Options Indexes MultiViews
   AllowOverride None
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from All
</Directory>

Alias /pictures/ "/var/shared/shared_files/Pictures/"

<Directory "/var/shared/shared_files/Pictures">
   Options Indexes MultiViews
   AllowOverride None
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from All
</Directory>

Now, the permissions on the two directories, /var/www/icons/ and /var/shared/shared_files/Pictures are identical. When I browse to http://server/icons/, the files in that directory display as expected. However, when I browse to http://server/pictures/, I get a 403-Forbidden error. I've messed with file permissions and with the access elements of the Alias directive, but the permissions on the two directories are identical. I've looked through the documentation of the Alias module at http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_alias.html, but I can't find anything that I'm missing.

I have other aliases -- notably, webmail -- which point to other directories outside of the server document root, so that can't be it.

Any ideas, anyone?  This is driving me batty.

This may be an SELinux related issue.  It was in my similar experience.

Is SELinux enabled on ur system? Also check the /var/log/messages to see if there are any avc error messages.

If so, use ls -Z to see the context properties of a folder that works and use chcon to change that of the folders that don't work

Hopefully that should help...

--
*Trevor "TeC" Christian*
Cell #: (767) 225 4472