Re: Alias issues in Apache 2.0

On Saturday 07 May 2005 11:45, Trevor "TeC" Christian wrote:
> Richard Crawford wrote:
> >I'm missing something fundamental in how Apache works, I think.
> >
> >In /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, I have the following Alias declaration:
> >
> >==========================================================
> >
> >Alias /icons/ "/var/www/icons/"
> >
> ><Directory "/var/www/icons">
> >    Options Indexes MultiViews
> >    AllowOverride None
> >    Order allow,deny
> >    Allow from All
> ></Directory>
> >

> >Alias /pictures/ "/var/shared/shared_files/Pictures/"
> >
> ><Directory "/var/shared/shared_files/Pictures">
> >    Options Indexes MultiViews
> >    AllowOverride None
> >    Order allow,deny
> >    Allow from All
> ></Directory>
> >
> >==========================================================
> >
> >Now, the permissions on the two directories, /var/www/icons/
> >and /var/shared/shared_files/Pictures are identical.  When I browse to
> >http://server/icons/, the files in that directory display as expected.
> >However, when I browse to http://server/pictures/, I get a 403-Forbidden
> >error.  I've messed with file permissions and with the access elements of
> > the Alias directive, but the permissions on the two directories are
> > identical. I've looked through the documentation of the Alias module at
> >http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_alias.html, but I can't find
> >anything that I'm missing.
> >
> >I have other aliases -- notably, webmail -- which point to other
> > directories outside of the server document root, so that can't be it.
> >
> >Any ideas, anyone?  This is driving me batty.
> >

> This may be an SELinux related issue.  It was in my similar experience.
>
> Is SELinux enabled on ur system?  Also check the /var/log/messages to
> see if there are any avc error messages.

Yep, checking /var/log/messages shows a ton of avc messages.  SELinux is
enabled on my system.

> If so, use ls -Z to see the context properties of a folder that works
> and use chcon to change that of the folders that don't work

executing ls -Z on the Pictures folder shows the following:

drwxrwxrwx richard crawford root:object_r:var_t Pictures

and executing ls -Z on the squirrelmail folder shows the following:

drwxr-xr-x root root system_u:object_r:usr_t squirrelmail

So I can certainly see the differences between the two files.  Unfortunately,
I don't honestly know what I'd be doing with chcon.  The Pictures folder is
also a Samba share so that my wife can access it directly from her WinXP
laptop, so I want to ensure that any changes I execute on the folder with
chcon will allow that folder to still be shared out via Samba.

Can you point me to any good SELinux resources meant for novices?  Thanks.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com