Re: Fedora Core brevity vs server upgrades

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 16:04, William Hooper wrote:

Jay Lee wrote:

wgetting
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/updates-released-fc3
shows a list of possible mirrors and I assume yum randomly selects one to
use each time (resulting in each request behind a proxy hitting a
different mirror).  What would be ideal is if that url was dynamic and
returned a single mirror url for yum to use.

You would loose the ability to fail over to another mirror if something was wrong with that one URL. Also you would increase load on the fedora.redhat.com server because it would have to generate this file for every request rather than serving a static file.

On the other hand, if DNS returned multiple addresses for one name,
the load would be spread among the sites automatically,

For that to work, all sites must have the same structure. And still, it excludes murrors that don't serve the whole world.

I believe the DNS now allows different answers in different parts of the world - that might help; Australians would _only_ see Australian mirrors.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait