Re: Fedora Core brevity vs server upgrades

Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:

I'm not a fan on Yum.

It's not a yum related problem. If the server is incomplete , it means that apt , yum and any other other app that does something like yum/apt do , they'll have issues with broken mirrors.
There's no easy way to fix this. If you find one , please post it ,

Drop unreliable mirrors. It happens often enough that they should be identifiable.

Update lists mirrors; it seems that Yum downloads a fresh list each time (yuck, I'd rather see the list in an rpm that's updated as needed), so that should be a quick fix. Once a mirror fixes its problems, relist it.

since keeping several mirrors in synch is certainly something very difficult, specially when you dont have control over them.

I think most are usability improvements for the desktop, and probably
not really needed on servers.

I note that there have been several kernel updates, and that he latest is broken (on my laptop it doesn't shut down, gets an oops instead). Not good for transporting.

For a good description of the updates , subscribe to fedora-announce-list. Usually the security updates are listed with the [SECURITY] tag in the subject , but sometimes a security update goes by without any special mention besides the entry in the changelog saying something like "Fixed CAN #.... ".

I'm on the list, what am I supposed to see? I didn't ask _why_ there have been several kernel updates, I merely observed there have been several.

I'd not like such a volatile selection of software on my server, I'd be perpetually worried that something will break, and if a server breaks then the whole enterprise (school in my case) is affected.

Yes, for example there was a recent util-linux update that
"broke" (though there was a workaround that could be used) client-side
NFS mounts to older servers, though an updated update was released the
day after.

This justifies my hands-on update policy.

The option to log software updates would be good - email (preferably to another box) and a printed report are good options.

Then the approach you need is something different: configure your machines to download from a local mirror. And only put in that mirror the packages that you have already tested on your network.

I've not noticed that Yum can be configured to do that. I can make it update but not download, but I don't think it can download and not update.

up2date can do that, and that's what I did with Taroon beta.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait