Re: Fedora Core brevity vs server upgrades

William Hooper wrote:

It's not obvious that yum exists, either. I would guess that the inexperienced user would be hitting the flashing red !.

Likely.
I then tried up2date commandline (acually, I know about that). I don't recall now my objections to that.

nor is it obvious what the allowable values are.

I think it is pretty obvious that a 404 error isn't a mirror list.

That's one way of cataloguing a large number of wrong values.

It _should_ be, it _could_ be easier. It is something that should be set
on every installation, values that suit Aussies won't suit Canucks. There
is not a good default.

Sure there is a good default. One that works, which is what we have now.

hey, my Navara (Pathfinder to yanks) only fires on two cilinders, what's the problem?

It can do better,

A default selection based on time zone would work for many people. I select "Australia/Perth" and that self-same selection should give me WAIX-connected mirrors plus Optus and Telstra to choose from. Or for yum to roll around.

Heck, most people that post here don't like the mirror list (out of sync rhn-applet, different results on different runs while mirror are syncing, etc.) and end up hard coding the mirror they want anyway. If you have the ability to choose a mirror to download the ISOs from, you have the ability to set the appropriate mirror the yum and up2date configurations.

"most people here" not "most users" nor "prospective users." I wish to see a soln that works for those. Myself, I can defeat most difficulties and have been doing so for years. Check my name at googlism.com - those mentioning OS/2 are me. Have some fun with your own name while youre at it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait