Re: Yum update seems to have stalled

Claude Jones wrote:

>I'm doing a reinstall and am now going through the update process.
>It found a huge number of upgrades and was moving through them,
>but now, on 933/969 it's been stalled for half an hour on
>'completing update for gimp'. Is this normal? If not, what happens
>if I abort? If I choose to abort, is there a preferred way?
>
>Claude Jones
>Levit & James, Inc./WTVS
>Leesburg, VA, USA

I am unsure this will be of any help, but I just installed FC 3
(probably a very early version off a Linux Format DVD - Jan issue) on a
laptop this weekend.  All efforts failed using the connection via the
built in updater.  Yum update (command line) was suggested and it had
only need for 369 updates and I mostly left it alone while it churned
away checking aperiodicly.  Near the end I found I found it failed on
Natulus, I did a Ctl-C expecting the worse and just tried to rerun: "yum
update" only to be told I was completely updated.

Note the difference, however, I had an explicit message informing me of
a premature halt so our situations differ.

It might be possible that an abort may leave you with most of the
updates completed, if it is still locked up you could try this
"method".  Warning until yesterday I have only read about yum having
never used it previosly - I was impressed.