RE: Yum update seems to have stalled

Phillip T. George wrote:
| Claude Jones wrote:
|| I'm doing a reinstall and am now going through the update
|| process. It found a huge number of upgrades and was moving
|| through them, but now, on 933/969 it's been stalled for half
|| an hour on 'completing update for gimp'. Is this normal? If
|| not, what happens if I abort? If I choose to abort, is there a
|| preferred way?
| I've noticed with FC2 that if you do A LOT of updates, that it
| will sometimes hang and not return or not return for a very
| long time.  I would just not do as many updates.

Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my question. This thing is
sitting here obviously stalled, and I'm wondering what the best
approach is to dealing with that. Do I cold reboot - is there some
keystroke combo that might result in minimal damage? Or some other
way? Actually, I've rebuilt my systems a number of times during my
Linux learning curve, and after the DVD install, there are always
a huge number of updates the first time. I've never had a problem
with that up till now. The rpms have already all been downloaded -
it's just hung at the second phase of the installation phase - I'm
not sure how this works, but it seems like it makes a preliminary
pass of unpacking and installing the rpms, and then does a second
pass - perhaps to make all the links or something? It's that
'Completing' phase that's hanging...

Claude Jones
Levit & James, Inc./WTVS
Leesburg, VA, USA