Re: FC3, MySQL and PHP [SOLVED]

Trevor "TeC" Christian wrote:

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

Ankush Grover wrote:

The issue appears to have been between PHP and mysql - re
authentication. The PHP client does not yet use the new password format
coming with mysql-4.x servers. I guess there's something to be said for
walking away when frustrated.

SELinux was never fully identified as the "source" of the problems -
especially as i wasn't getting any messages all while i was trying that.

Thanx guys.

Hey ,

To make php work with mysql 4 or 5 do this.

at the command prompt mysql> means when ur at mysql command prompt.

set password for user@somedomain =OLD_PASSWORD('newpasswd).

For ex

set password for root@localhost=OLD_PASSWORD('ankush');

now mysql root has the password ankush

Set the password as per ur requirements and also the user.

Regards

Ankush

What is the purpose of doing all this?

The mysql 4 server has a new password hashing algorithm or something...

All mysql 4.x clients have upgraded to that password form. However, it seems the php 4 doesn't not have the updated mysql client and it is hoped /expected to be present in php 5.

As such the, for the php client to connect to the mysql db, the user accounts require a password in the old format.

This wasn't obvious to me, because all the tools i used to "check if the server was running" were compatible with the appropriate password scheme.

Did you do : # mysql_fix_privilege_tables ?