Re: ACPI on Dell Latitude C840

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 13:23 +0100, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> So actually I *do* need to recompile my kernel (given that I only use
> the stock kernels from Fedora Core and Fedora Core Updates Released) to
> use a custom DSDT? I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. You're
> saying that it is now possible to use a custom DSDT without compiling it
> into the kernel, but the stock FC kernels have not been compiled in such
> a way to take advantage of this. In which case, has anyone opened a bug
> report asking that they enable this option?

Yes you do need to recompile the kernel but you don't need to apply the
patch for using a custom DSDT since it's already in the newer kernel.
(Not sure when it was applied though) but you do need to recompile the
kernel to tell it to use your custom DSDT file. You can't compile the
kernel with this option if your doing a generic kernel for different
computers because the custom DSDT will be compiled in the kernel so
that's why you have to compile it with your DSDT for your computer.

I hope that's a bit clearer now!

--
Jean-Rene Cormier <jrc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>