Re: Upgrade vs Reinstall

Rick Lim wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Sean O Sullivan
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 6:05 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Upgrade vs Reinstall

Tim Holmes wrote:

Good Morning All!!!

As we look toward the end of the academic year, I am beginning the
process of planning the IT projects for the summer.  One of the >major
projects that I have in mind is to convert all of our FC2 boxes to >FC3
-- I have about 6 FC2 servers in various roles around the school.  >What
I am wondering is if there is a proper upgrade path, or if it is >better
to back up the data and start over from scratch?

If a RELIABLE upgrade path is available, can someone please point >me to
the docs etc (since this would be the first Linux upgrade that I >have
done, a step by step cook book style doc would be real helpful)

I did similar upgrade from FC2 => 3, on various servers, it was a case of inserting FC3 cd, booting off cd, and then when anaconda loads >gives you choice to upgrade.
It took about 1-1.5 hours to do it, and afterwards all worked without problems, there is small issue with apache I believe, but once you update via your package manager it should be resolved.

Regards,

Sean

Can someone comment on upgrading using either YUM or APT-GET?
I tried upgrading a system from FC1 -> FC3 using the CD method and it >wasn't
100% successful, I had to finish the upgrade using apt-get, yum failed >with
a strange error message.

On another system I did a FC2 -> FC3 via CD and that was 100% successful.

I am also considering a RH7.1 upgrade to FC3, can anyone comment on that?
Thanks.

Sorry if there is any oddities in the quoting sections, had to edit due to nature of reply..

In regards to upgrading ... usually the CD upgrade is best way & you will usually have to do a 'X' update afterwards which will probably fix things (as you have PACKAGE_NAME_FC2 and must be updated to PACKAGE_NAME_FC3, so that can produce some oddities, as sometimes the package for FC2 is higher version than FC3's, so matter of waiting).

Updating from yum/apt/smart (really really nice package management tool for all distro's...) ... yum I am unsure if it's possible to do a dist-upgrade, apt it is possible to do, but I don't trust apt + RH/FC (never had good experiences), and smart, I've only started using recently, so unsure if possible.

As for upgrading rh7.3 => fc3, em ... no
I'm sure it would be possible, for a value of possible, however it's not something I'd be willing to try ... maybe a gradual update (to 8 => 9 => fc1 => fc3) ... again, i'd seriously advise against ... yes it probably is possible, but really not worth it...

Best method in my experience (if possible), boot from cd & upgrade, then do yum/apt/smart update afterwards, which should fix things.