RE: Upgrade vs Reinstall

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Sean O Sullivan
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 6:05 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Upgrade vs Reinstall

Tim Holmes wrote:

>Good Morning All!!!
>
>As we look toward the end of the academic year, I am beginning the
>process of planning the IT projects for the summer.  One of the major
>projects that I have in mind is to convert all of our FC2 boxes to FC3
>-- I have about 6 FC2 servers in various roles around the school.  What
>I am wondering is if there is a proper upgrade path, or if it is better
>to back up the data and start over from scratch?
>
>If a RELIABLE upgrade path is available, can someone please point me to
>the docs etc (since this would be the first Linux upgrade that I have
>done, a step by step cook book style doc would be real helpful)

I did similar upgrade from FC2 => 3, on various servers, it was a case
of inserting FC3 cd, booting off cd, and then when anaconda loads gives
you choice to upgrade.
It took about 1-1.5 hours to do it, and afterwards all worked without
problems, there is small issue with apache I believe, but once you
update via your package manager it should be resolved.

Regards,

Sean