Re: Upgrade vs Reinstall

Tim Holmes wrote:

Good Morning All!!!

As we look toward the end of the academic year, I am beginning the
process of planning the IT projects for the summer.  One of the major
projects that I have in mind is to convert all of our FC2 boxes to FC3
-- I have about 6 FC2 servers in various roles around the school.  What
I am wondering is if there is a proper upgrade path, or if it is better
to back up the data and start over from scratch?

If a RELIABLE upgrade path is available, can someone please point me to
the docs etc (since this would be the first Linux upgrade that I have
done, a step by step cook book style doc would be real helpful)

I did similar upgrade from FC2 => 3, on various servers, it was a case of inserting FC3 cd, booting off cd, and then when anaconda loads gives you choice to upgrade.
It took about 1-1.5 hours to do it, and afterwards all worked without problems, there is small issue with apache I believe, but once you update via your package manager it should be resolved.

Regards,

Sean