Re: Commanding rc.local not to run at boot..possible.?

On Monday April 11 2005 9:47 am, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 22:00 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> > I just went through this, and reading through the posts, I'm surprised
> > no one mentioned this:
> > Right after the kernel is unpacked in the beginning of boot, you get a
> > dialogue telling you to press 'I' for interactive mode. Do that, and
> > each command in the bootup gives you a Y/N dialogue. rc.local should be
> > the very last command, and it will say something like 'start local? Y|N'
> > pressing N will bypass rc.local.
>
> Claude,
>
> Have you tried that and made it work?   8-)

Yes, I do it frequently... I manage to screw up my system with fair
regularity, and this feature has bailed me out repeatedly.

> This is what I see in rc.sysinit (which gives that message).
> -------------------------------------
> if [ "$PROMPT" != "no" ]; then
>  echo -en $"\t\tPress 'I' to enter interactive startup."
>  echo
> fi
> -------------------------------------
>
> I don't find anything in the script to ever even read the input, let
> alone assign the input to a variable or use it.
>
> If you can tell me where it is ever assigned/used in the script I would
> appreciate it.  Maybe I can learn something about scripting. :-)

Jeff:  I am very new to Linux, and seldom respond to questions, here. In this
case I knew an answer. BUT, I can't say I know how it works, nor do I
understand enough about the boot process and what scripts do what, to answer
your question - I just know that it works - one caveat is that you have to
watch the boot closely, and press that 'I' quickly when it gives you the
option. The opportunity is quickly passed.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA