Re: Commanding rc.local not to run at boot..possible.?

Jeff Vian wrote:
On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 22:00 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:

Mark Sargent wrote:

Hi All,

have a script in rc.local that hangs the machine at boot(I was seeing if the system here at home would do the same as my work PC, which it did, unfortunately). How can I instruct the boot process not to process rc.local. Is it possible from the command line to do this, and could you tell me what the command would be.? Knoppix3.7 doesn't recognize LVM, so I can't mount the partition and make a change to rc.local and booting with telinit 3 still gets the hang. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.

I just went through this, and reading through the posts, I'm surprised no one mentioned this:
Right after the kernel is unpacked in the beginning of boot, you get a dialogue telling you to press 'I' for interactive mode. Do that, and each command in the bootup gives you a Y/N dialogue. rc.local should be the very last command, and it will say something like 'start local? Y|N' pressing N will bypass rc.local.

Claude,

Have you tried that and made it work?   8-)

This is what I see in rc.sysinit (which gives that message).
-------------------------------------
if [ "$PROMPT" != "no" ]; then
 echo -en $"\t\tPress 'I' to enter interactive startup."
 echo
fi

I don't find anything in the script to ever even read the input, let
alone assign the input to a variable or use it.

If you can tell me where it is ever assigned/used in the script I would
appreciate it.  Maybe I can learn something about scripting. :-)

The snippet above is what produces the prompt to press the "I" key. The key isn't read until *much* later. Search for "getkey" in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. If the "I" key is detected as having been pressed at the appropriate time, the file /var/run/confirm is created, and the presence or absence of this file is used by /etc/rc.d/rc to determine whether or not it should prompt for whether each individual initscript should be run.

Paul.