Re: network card auto-deactivates

Scot L. Harris wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 09:35, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> At the moment I have the curious and annoying situation where my network
>> card appears to de-activate itself at random intervals, but usually
>> overnight. Its a realtek 8139 which is connected to my ADSL modem, a
>> DSL-300T made by D-link. I leave the network connection up and working
>> when I go to bed, and when I come down in the morning I have no network
>> connection, and when I check the network-configuration gui, it shows the
>> status as being 'inactive'. If I double-click the 'status in the gui it
>> shows that 'activate device when computer restarts' as being ticked, and
>> I've also enabled the radio button of 'Automatically obtain IP address
>> settings with dhcp'.
>>
>> The modem shows that there has been no break in connection time, but does
>> say that there is no dhcp client available.
>>
>> Can anyone help me to sort out this problem please?
>>
>> Sharon.

Scott.
I've deliberately held off replying as I wanted time to elapse whilst things
were being checked out.
> Could your ISP be timing out your connection?

It could well be so, the connection has been alive now for 8hrs28mins whilst
the modem has been alive for 495hrs47mins.

> Check if there are any keep alive options with the DSL modem.

In the 'connection setup' there is one specifically labelled 'keep alive'
which I've changed from 10mins to 999999mins, so that should keep it going
a fair while :)))))

I'm hoping that the problems solved now, thanks for your help.

Sharon.
--
 14:57:27 up 5 days,  6:10,  1 user,  load average: 1.56, 1.75, 1.74
A taste of linux http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/efever/index.html