network card auto-deactivates

At the moment I have the curious and annoying situation where my network card
appears to de-activate itself at random intervals, but usually overnight. Its
a realtek 8139 which is connected to my ADSL modem, a DSL-300T made by
D-link. I leave the network connection up and working when I go to bed, and
when I come down in the morning I have no network connection, and when I
check the network-configuration gui, it shows the status as being 'inactive'.
If I double-click the 'status in the gui it shows that 'activate device when
computer restarts' as being ticked, and I've also enabled the radio button of
'Automatically obtain IP address settings with dhcp'.

The modem shows that there has been no break in connection time, but does say
that there is no dhcp client available.

Can anyone help me to sort out this problem please?

Sharon.
--
 14:32:25 up 3 days,  5:45,  1 user,  load average: 1.67, 1.75, 1.82
A taste of linux http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/efever/index.html