Re: phpMyAdmin installation problem

a a wrote:
I am new to linux and I never believed it could be this difficult to
install an application

my system: a fresh install of FC3 fully updated on a new intel desktop

I am installing phpMyAdmin and I have extracted the files to
/usr/phpMyAdmin-2.6.1-pl3/

I have edited the config.inc.php according to the installation
instructions and I have turned off zlib compression as stated in the
troubleshooting FAQ. I even went to the phpMyAdmin help forum at
sourceforge and read an UNSOLVED thread with my exact same problem
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1242004&forum_id=72909

PROBLEM: logged in as root when I use my browser to look at
http://localhost/usr/phpMyAdmin-2.6.1-pl3/index.php or
http://localhost/phpMyAdmin I see a BLANK page

logged in as another user I see a page of text output that I dont
understand but I did check that it is NOT simply the file that is
being echoed to the screen

Your problem lyes with Apache not with phpMyAdmin. That is because Apache is set to look only at it HOME.
If you set up phpMyAdmin in the HOME of apache then "http://localhost/phpMyAdmin-2.6.1-pl3/index.php " might work".
I am assuming that you have phpMyAdmin and the apache php module working also.

--
73 de Donn Washburn   Hpage: " http://www.hal-pc.org/~n5xwb "
Ham Callsign N5XWB   Email:  " n5xwb@xxxxxxxxxx "