Re: FC3 Security

Jason Powers wrote:

Sorry to hear of your trouble, Rick. We have a larger scale but similar
situation here, we run the lan but not the routers, dhcp or dns, which
makes things a little difficult when we want to run terminals and such,
and there's no way we can run anything accessible from outside. Sad
thing is we own all the hardware, too, just let someone else manage it
(in return for free bandwidth. Oceans of free bandwidth).

I think that if you are doing this on your own, at your own or your
grant's expense, I would look into grabbing some hosting at a place like
openhosting.com. It's enough of a linux box for most of your needs and
it won't piss off the admins, and you're not paying the $100+ it would
run you for a whole dedicated box.

On the whole Alexander nailed it, you'll never get to run your own
router or anything on that network. They have the IPs, they make the
rules, and one IP per machine is not unreasonable.

While we're talking about it, be careful not to turn the bridge
connector on in your laptop, either. The router spots the packets and
shuts it off like it was a router. We've already run into this about 5
times with visiting scholars.

Jason Powers

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I already have the computer. How can I use hosting if I can't connect to the network? They won't let be connect to the network whether I run ssh or not on the computer. It would be impossible to do the project without the computer being connected to the network. I have lots of software to install and then data to download.

Rick B.