Re: Netiquette to help searches, was: Don't Waste Time on Fedora Mailing List Searches

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 10:00:10 AM +0100, Duncan Lithgow
(duncan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> >    answered quoting hundreds of lines just to add "I agree" or "check
> >       this man page"
> >

> Maybe you want to help develop this?
>
> FEDORA CORE SUPPORT LIST - UNOFFICIAL USER'S GUIDE

Thanks for the offer. You are welcome to add to the guide whatever you
feel useful from my original post.

The post itself, however, add a slightly different slant: remember to
the expert users, more than to newbies, to help keep the list and its
archive as lean and low volume (=useful) as possible.

The problem is not one newbie posting a request in contrast to the
user guide. It's the ten or so "veterans" that instead of saying "we
couldn't ask better than help you, but will wait to do so until you
repost the question in a form that makes the archives usable".

I friendly hate people that contribute to mess up threads, answer to
hijacked ones, bloat the archive not trimming the text, and the day
after tell the next newbie "tsk tsk. Netiquette, kid: we discussed
this yesterday, do read the archives, before adding noise to the
list". Or maybe complain because the search function of the archive
itself doesn't work.

Ciao,
	Marco F.

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

If development calls for an ever-growing number of technical experts,
even more necessary still is the deep thought and reflection of wise
men in search of a new humanism, one which will enable our
contemporaries to enjoy the higher values of love and friendship...
				   Paul VI,    POPULORUM PROGRESSIO