Netiquette to help searches, was: Don't Waste Time on Fedora Mailing List Searches

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 21:31:41 PM -0500, Jim Cornette
(fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> David Curry wrote:
> >Subject thread says it all.
>

> >The Red Hat archive search engine is broken, broken, broken.

[...]
> A good search engine should cut down on repeated messages. People
> could find answers for topics, thus cutting down on the list volume.

Very unlikely that a search engine could become so good to filter
automatically all the broken, broken, broken *answers* sent to a
mailing list. If the list members, starting from the "veterans",
NEVER:

   answered quoting hundreds of lines just to add "I agree" or "check
      this man page"

  answered to messages that are like above

  answered to hijacked threads

  opened messages, or replies, with empty or totally vague subjects

  answered messages whose subjects mix totally unrelated topics (my cd
  doesn't mount and how to update openoffice), whose replies are
  guaranteed to become unreadable interlaced messes

  had the face to tell newcomers "don't increase the traffic here
  before searching the hopelessly jumbled archive that we contributed
  to create"

then there would much less list traffic, much less load on the servers
and the network, much less wasted money for those without a flat rate
connection. But above all searches would be much faster and more
useful, as they would start from a much more structured material. Gee,
wouldn't this cut down the list volume even more?

Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

I never let my schooling get in the way of my education. -- Mark Twain