Re: Wanted: a "Save energy, be more secure" howto

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 04:34:49 -0500
Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And its 4-10 watts consumed is pumped into the passing air to keep
> itself cool.  The air it moves may be cooler, but the heat in that
> box is still 100% from i2R losses.

I don't think anyone here is really arguing that the energy used to power
the computer is converted to heat.  I can't speak for others in the
thread, but *my* point is that this is an inefficient way to heat a house,
because you have to buy every watt of energy (as electricity) that
goes into the house.

>From the point of view of the person buying electricity, resistive heat is
a terrible way to heat the house, as it doesn't take advantage of the
fact that there's heat outside the house that can be tapped.

Running your computers/TV/stereo all the time in the winter is CHEAPER in
the winter, but it still isn't free - unless you actually DO use
resistive heat to heat the house.  Many people don't - especially in the
milder climates where heat pump use is common.  From the point of view of
electricity use, heat pumps are more than 100% efficient.  (No, this
doesn't violoate the second law, it's just that the rest of the heat
coming from the air in the yard or the ground doesn't show up on your
electricity bill. :) )

To bring this back on topic, it'll probably still save you money to leave
the computers off or in a power-saving mode during the winter.  You just
won't save as MUCH money as you would during the summer.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/