Re: Wanted: a "Save energy, be more secure" howto

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 18:34, Gene Heskett wrote:
> There may be lots of intermediate stages for the energy, but at the
> end of the day, the end result is heat.  Always.
Of cause eventaully all consumed energy is converted into heat. A very tiny
fraction is radiated into space but still eventually (I guess) converted into
heat. Your attitude however will also help decreasing the loss into space.
And maybe some day we do not need to concern yourselves with heating in any
of the few places on earth that will support human life.

The total conversion to heat is however not very interesting. What is
interesting is wether it happens inside your house and in a way that it is
not rapidly lost again and that you'll find comfortable.
Admittedly, I would guess that at least 90% of the heat generated in you
computer will substitute other means of electric heating.

However, heat developed from your computer, or other electric devices, is
substituting other much more effective means of generating heat.
And again, many places the amount of energy consumed for cooling is much
higher than for heating. But maybe fedora is only for use in the winter time?
Or for places where no cooling is needed?

Regards
Torben