Re: Problemsconfiguring Firestarter

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 19:31:37 +0200, Pasha <e97665728@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Leandro Melo wrote:
>
> >Hi.
> >I just intalled Firestarter on my Fedora 2. The goal is to share my
> >Internet Fedora connection to my other computer at home that runs
> >Windows XP.
> >I followed the instructions at the Firestarter web site. I configured
> >my Internet connection with the eth0 device (naturally, this is my
> >hardaware device, but I'm using default's fedora network manager in
> >which I have a logical ppp0 device - I called it eth0MyConn -  that
> >points to the eth0 hardware device). I also configured in Firestarter
> >the other device I'd like to share the connection with, which is eth1.
> >I configured it to use dhcp as it's suggested. The device eth1 is
> >connected to my other computer that runs Windows XP.
> >After doing the necessary configuration I finished Firestarter
> >installation normally.
> >The problems are:
> >
> >1 -  When I try to start Firestarter (or when it starts by itself when
> >I dial up) it gives an error that "eth0 is not ready... check if the
> >connection is active". The point is that my connection is active, I
> >can use the internet normally, but Firestarter gives this error.
> >
> >2 - If I try to use the connection stabilished in Fedora from my
> >Windows XP, it doesn't work. In other words, the connection that is
> >supposed to be shared is not working, my Windows XP can't see the
> >connection.
> >
> >Can anyone help me out with these problems. I'm very new to linux.
> >
> >p.s.: I'll also try to send this message to firestarter mailling list,
> >but if anyone could help me out also here, I'd appreciate.
> >

> You need to configure ppp0 as your device connected to internet.
> If you configure eth1 as using DHCP in firestarter, you also need to set
> up DHCP server on your FC2 box. If all you have is 2 computers, you
> probably don't need it. Just configure your machines with static IP
> addresses ( like 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2).

I tried to do this, but couldn't make it.
When I add these static IPs, do I neet to created submasks and default
gateway access?
Here's what I got so far.
I'm using Network Configuration tool for my Adsl connection. So, in
Network configuration tool I have 2 physical devices: eth0 and eth1.
I created a logical devices for an ADSL connection. From the Network
configuration tool, I can see this device as: Devices ->ppp0 ,
Nickname-> eth0_ADSL, Type-> xDSL.
My internet connection in the fedora computer is fine. I got a
ethernet cable on device eth1 that goes to my computer running Windows
XP.
So, as I'm a total beginner in Linux, what are my next steps???
- Configure something else in Network Configuration tool...?
- Configure Firestaster, what exactly...??
I'd really appreciate any help.

--
Leandro