Re: Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 09:29:33 AM -0500, Jeff Kinz (jkinz@xxxxxxxx)
wrote:

> (Fioretti, you heretic!  :) )

My wife says the same with worrying regularity, whatever we are
talking about...

> My current calculations show I'm spending about $30 to $60 a month
> just running computers and the attendant networking equipment.
> Since the new kernels support suspend and resume better than they
> used to this seems like a good thing to try now.
>
> 12 * 60 = $720 annually. hmmmm.  ($yikes) yes - definitely time to
> try this.

My own figure is probably about half than that. But when we multiply
it times the number of personal computers and think to this "always
on" fashion trend the total it's impressive, isn't it?

OK, it surely is not THE one voice that makes an household go
bankrupt, nor THE one which makes us all buy so much oil abroad that
the first fanatic gets enough money to fly planes into skyscrapers.

But it's still a fair amount of money (one week vacation, new
furniture, training...) that flies out of the window for literally
nothing in return.

> Following up on Marco's point of having `net access shut off when
> not using the machines for security reasons. I concur. It reduces
> your vulnerability profile to zero for large chunks of time.

Thanks!

The fact that Linux gives you 99% security (making up random numbers)
is no reason to not have it all (and provide it to others) when
possible. One thing that I forgot to mention is Wi-Fi and
wardriving. I must confess I somewhat hope to read that one day
somebody had to explain to the police that it wasn't him that cracked
the bank: "No officer, me was just sleeping (or playing Doom for 10
hours, or compiling the kernel) without worrying 'cuz Linux is safe".

So these are the reasons why, whenever I read some "Running Linux,
uptime 20 days" signature on a message clearly about semi-casual home
usage, I snort. I'm not sure it makes the poster look smart.

I also have some more practical questions on this issue, but that is
another thread.

Ciao,
	Marco F.

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Red Hat & Fedora for low memory   http://www.rule-project.org/

Sometimes when you fill a vacuum, it still sucks.
	                    -- Bill Joy, founder of Sun Microsystems