Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

On my home computer and office computer, I have logged the time taken upto logging in, it turns out that Ms windows(XP) is faster than Linux. On both computers, dma is turned on.On my home computer, I have SUSE, Fedora and Knoppix (debian) installed and on office computer, only Fedora. I have measured with all the distros and while knoppix is faster of the distros, still it doesn't measure upto Windows in speed. Both fedora and SUSE take about one and a times longer time, evrything else remaining same.

Any comments ? Or am I missing something ?

Parameshwara Bhat.