Re: Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

M. Fioretti wrote:
On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 06:26:30 AM -0500, Brian Craft
(javaman67@xxxxxxx) wrote:

In the Linux world, the bootup time is such a small slice of the pie
since it's not done as often, because it's not needed as often.

This is not true. More exactly, it is only true in the Linux _server_
/ _workstation_ world. A home or SOHO office desktop is only powered
up, on average, 2 or respectively 8 hours a day.

I know several companies where turning off the box when you go home is
an official policy, and most adults I know use the home pc only a few
hours in the weekend, because they already surfed the Net during lunch
break to get movie schedules and such.

In these cases keeping the box 24h/7 on is dumb. Why should I (generic
home user, no guru, who wants the PC do things for him, not the
contrary) not turn it off as soon as I've finished? Why should I
consume 6 times more electricity, or expose 6 times more my data and
the rest of the Net to attacks to/from my PC coming from the fact that
I'm not paid to be a security professional?

Saying that "in the linux world, bootup still is such a small slice of
the pie" is a sure way to keep linux confined in the server/hackers
for hacking pleasure niche. Whether one cares is another thing, of
course.

Ciao,
	Marco F.

Well, I for one, run 3 linux machines at home on a network with a router NAT firewall (DSL connection) and leave all 3 on 24/7 365 days a year. I'm not worried about electricity, as I'd prefer the convienence of unlocking a screensaver and have instant access. And for as exposing my data, well it sounds like you need a lesson in securing your internet connection. I also work in a corporate setting (Windows XP) and one of the reasons they say to shut down is to refresh the memory/system resources at the end of your workday so the local support team doesn't get a lot of calls on slow running systems. Of course this is a Windows system resource issue, and is less a problem for linux.

To each their own, I prefer linux in a home setting and execpt for a kernel update, these computers don't get turned off, and I've had no security issues, for the last 6 years while running linux behind a good firewall.

--

Brian Craft

Jabber id: javaman67@xxxxxxxxxx
Linux Counter id: 97873