Re: Kernel upgrade or bastille?

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 16:42 -0600, R. Jensen wrote:
> After rebooting I did not have internet access.
> Somehow my default gateway got dropped from the route.
>
> Anyone seen this happen after installing bastille?
> Anyone else having network problems after upgrading the kernel?
>
> I fixed the issue by editing /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
> and setting the default gateway there.

I haven't used Bastille with FC3, so I can't answer your question. I'm
just chiming in to say that the file above doesn't sound like the right
place to make this change. The default gateway is a host property, not
the property of any specific network interface. The host will figure out
the correct network interface to go through for talking to the default
gateway.

I'm not having access to an FC3 box right now, hence I'm not sure about
the exact paths, but in FC2 you would define the default gateway
in /etc/sysconfig/network rather than, for example,
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.

> I'm also a bit confused about that because the date of that
> file was Jan 4th and I've had to make changes since then
> due to VPN routing issues, so the GATEWAY line in there
> was for a network address that no longer existed.
> [So, how have I been connecting to the internet for the
> last 2 months? Beats me. :-) ].

Find the correct file to fix, and the confusion will disappear... :)

Cheers
Steffen.