Re: File permissions when ftp

But now that I have set the group and the permissions to the directory to 2775 Apache doesn't like it and I get a 403 Forbidden error and I don't know why.

Having the directory set to allow group writing and the sgid bit set is
VERY insecure. Apache knows that and refuses to use insecure settings.
You should reset the directory back to the proper permissions.

This is not only not true (about Apache refusing to access the group-writeable sgid directory - I just tried it myself) but changing the permissions back breaks the requirement that the OP's original question was about, namely how to make sure that new files written into the directory have the right group ownership.

I went so far as deleting the entire directory and remaking it to clear all the permissions on it. Apache still complained and I got the 403 error.

jay