Re: File permissions when ftp

Try this:
# cd my-upload-directory
# chgrp www .
# chmod 2775 .

See how that goes.

That worked! However, what is odd is that user1 is using Dreamweaver to upload files and user2 is using Fugu to upload files. When using Fugu it writes the file with permissions of 644. However, if user2 uses Dreamweaver to upload the file it's permissions are set to 664 which is correct.

Any ideas?

Maybe Dreamweaver explicitly sets the permissions of the files? Which FTP server are you using?

Try using a command-line FTP client and experiment logging in as each
user and writing a file to the upload area. What permissions do they
get?

I tried it several different ways and Fugu was the only one that did weird things. However, I did find that it is a bug in the Fugu program itself

https://lists.ccs.neu.edu/pipermail/scponly/2004-October/000621.html

But now that I have set the group and the permissions to the directory to 2775 Apache doesn't like it and I get a 403 Forbidden error and I don't know why.

jay