Re: Fedora Core Support List Unofficial User's Guide (draft 2 - Duncan Lithgow))

Below is a summary of the points raised so far since draft 2. I think it
would be a gesture of cooperative effort if someone other than me wrote
draft 3. Any takers?

If we cannot - as a community - create this document then we have no
place asking people to follow this communities guidelines. I suggest
that we repost draft three as a new thread so people who have started
ignoring this thread can see we are still working on it.

solidarity, Duncan
--
>From Rahul Sundaram:
info command name
locate <stuff you want to know about>
rpm -qd <packagename>

fedora.redhat.com/docs
redhat.com/docs
fedoratracker.org
fedoraproject.org/extras
--
>From Charles Curley:
You may also find useful http://www.charlescurley.com/netiquette.html.

4.5. Trim irrelevant material. Why? It makes it easier to read your
     reply and helps the reader to stay on subject.

On medium and high traffic lists (such as this one), many people decide
whether to read a message solely on the subject line. This is not
obvious to people who are new to mailing lists.
--
>From Matt: (seconded Gustavo Seabra)
b) When you send in a new topic, do not start by replying to an
existing message, but rather, start a new message to
"fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx". This keeps messages organized by thread, for
one, threads can be a great convenience).
--
>From beartooth:
... who *start* on gmane, and spare themselves the detour through email.
Shouldn't the advice address them?
--
>From Gustavo Seabra:
I think a monthly mail reminder would be good.
Also, it could be kept in a web page, and a link to this page added in
the bottom of the messages, together with the "Fedora-list" things.
--
Adding or not adding [solved] - seems to be in dispute with no clear
preference.