Re: Dual Boot, Grub, FC3-WinXpSP2, 2 drives. No go.

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:54:52 -0500, Nat Gross
<natgross.rentalsystems@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Robert Locke wrote:
> >On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 17:55 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
> ><snip>
> >>I thought so, too. But I just mounted both (vfat and ntfs) partitions
> >>under FC3, and there is no boot.ini file. At this point I am certain
> >>that for some reason (maybe due to an earlier install of Windows)
> >>Windows kept the boot.ini on C, hda, and used that to boot from E.
[snip]

> >So to speak.  GRUB is passing control to the NTLDR and BOOT.INI files.
> >Remember that they are hidden/system files usually, so depending on how
> >you tried to locate them might be why you did not see them (probably a
> >pipe dream)???
> >

> I used the 'search for files' applet and turned on the hidden files option.
[snip]
> >--Rob
>
> Thanks again.
> -nat

Hidden files in Linux are different from in Windows.  Windows has a
file attribute that makes a file hidden.  In Linux, a file with a
filename beginning with a dot "." is hidden.  What you need to do is
to just mount your windows partitions and then list the contents of
each partition.  For instance, if you mount your NTFS parition on
/mnt/windows/E (this is not a required place, just an example), then
open a terminal and type the command:
ls /mnt/windows/E
If you see ntldr and boot.ini listed in the output, everything is
fine.  You don't need to search for them as they are necessarily in
the root of the partition (this is, they will not be in a folder).
Similarly, do the same with your vfat partition, just in case.  If you
do not find it in either place, then you do have a problem and you
will need to restore these somehow.  Probably with the recovery
console and FIXBOOT as already suggested.

Jonathan