Fedora Core 2: initrd failed to mount ext3 root fs.

Hi list;
      I just installed Fedora Core 2 last 2 days. The binaries work fine
from the installation CDs that I have no problem installing the full system
and booting up the machine i686 P4. However, when I build the kernel from
the source with the default configuration for arch/i386, booting up the
machine failed due to initrd failing to mount the ext3 root file system. It
failed when linuxrc trying to mount the root fs with pivot_root(). Any
insight is appreciated.
      Thanks.

Regards,
TEH