Re: SMART support for SATA disks in FC3 kernel?

Dave Jones wrote:
On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 05:58:46PM +0000, Robin Bowes wrote:
> Hi,
> > Does anyone know if and when SMART support for SATA disks [1] will be > added to the FC3 kernel?
> > [1] http://linux.yyz.us/sata/software-status.html#smart

Shortly after its merged upstream.

Ah, I see. So it's dependent on being added to the kernel core?

Is there any time frame for when this is likely to happen?

I've read various items on the web which have been saying "real soon now" since June 2004. Jeff Garzik's latest update says:

"Update 2005/01/07: SMART support will be integrated very soon. SCSI T10 committee assigned the necessary opcode numbers for ATA passthru (SMART support requires this, in libata). Now only a few small tweaks are needed before this can be integrated into mainline."

So, I guess it's close. But it would be nice to know how close!

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com