Re: LINUX 64

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:58:19 -0600, Manny M <kcmanny@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Cool! Thanks for the help. Well, more than likely I'll bounce back in
> here if I have anymore questions or need some assistance on getting
> this notebook configured properly. I appreciate the heads up on the
> wireless piece and I'll let you know how that goes. As for the ATI,
> I've been to several forums and so far everyone says that they've had
> no issues with ATI on FC3.

No problem.  If you aren't interested in getting 3D acceleration, then
you shouldn't have any trouble with the ATi card.  I've never had a
newer ATi card to try to get 3D working to say what it is like.  Let
us know how it goes.

> I did see the eMachines one, and you're right they are the same like
> HP and Compaq. But the only difference was that the Gateway has more
> of the complete package that I'm looking for.

Yeah, I've been excited to see more and more companies starting to
build AMD64 machines.  Perhaps when Windows XP x64 comes out they will
really take off.

> Oh! One last thing that I did forget to ask you. Do you have it
> config'd for dual-boot as well? If so, did you have any problems with
> the install? And is there any special things that I'll need to do
> during the install?

Yes, I dual-boot.  The most complicated thing was to shrink the NTFS
partition.  Something wasn't quite right with it, so qtparted didn't
want to resize it.  The trick was to have Windows run scandisk, then
everything went fine.  If Gateway gives you an XP *install* disk (as
opposed to a *restore* disk, which would probably just reimage the
harddisk) you could also blow it away and start fresh.  I initially
installed Core 2.  With all the patitioning trouble I heard about, I
went in with System Rescue CD and used fdisk to create partitions.
The installed Core 2 and everything went fine.  That issue should be
fixed in Core 3, but if you want more control, I still recommend using
fdisk if you are comfortable with partitioning.

> Thanks, again!
> Manny

Have fun,
Jonathan