Re: LINUX 64

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:37:56 -0600, Emmanuel Mejias <kcmanny@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Has anyone had or know of any problems installing and running Fedora
> Core 3 64 bit on the Gateway notebooks with AMD Athlon 64 bit chips???
> Any feedback would be great as I am looking to purchase this notebook
> and plan to install FC3 on it.

What kind of hardware?  I have a Compaq R3000Z Laptop with Athlon 64
and FC3 x86_64 works great on it.  nVidia graphics card an nForce3
chipset mboard.  A couple of things took a little effort to get
working (like widescreen, wireless (with 64-bit ndiswrapper now!),
etc.), but once you get past that initial work, it works great.  And
there are probably people who have done it before who can tell you
what to do (there were with the R3000), so that makes it easy.  What
kind of config are you looking at?  You might check out the R3000 or
the HP equivalent zv5000.  Go with the best bang for your buck.  If
you want 3D, definitely go with an nVidia card if you can.  I know it
works, ATi and 64-bit seems to be a little sketchy, or at least it
was.

Jonathan

PS: be sure to use Reply-to-All to keep things on-list