Re: LINUX 64

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:09:55 -0600, Emmanuel Mejias <kcmanny@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm looking to replace my desktop with the Gateway 7422GX. Here are the specs.
> AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 1600MHz system bus with HyperTransport
> Technology, 1.0GB PC2700 DDR, 64MB ATI Mobility RADEON 9550/9600,
> built-in wireless LAN with 125HMS technology. DVD+ - RW/CD-RW

Not bad :).  I've definitely replaced my desktop with my laptop :).
Looks like a similarly configured Compaq is going to run you about the
same.  The Radeon 9550 is going to be a little better card for 3D in
Windows than the 440Go in the Compaq, but I don't know where ATi's
Linux support is, especially when it comes to 64-bit.  General 2D
should work fine in either case with open-source drivers.  The
wireless may be an interesting experience.  Any idea what chipset it
is?  If it is Broadcom (BCM4306), you can use ndiswrapper with the
64-bit Windows drivers.  The page I found didn't say, but it also
didn't say anything about the 125 HMS.  It's a K8T800 chipset mboard,
so it's different from my nForce3, but I think it should work fine.  I
have a VIA K8*800 based desktop at work and SuSE 9.0 x86_64 works just
fine on it.  eMachines is another choice for AMD64 laptops (I think
they are basically Gateway now, though, like Compaq is HP).  My choice
was between the Compaq and the eMachine (which had an ATi card) and I
opted for the Compaq with the nVidia 440Go.  Another plus is that I
got to customize my laptop.

Jonthan