Hardware compatibility issues with Shuttle XPC...

Good day,

I am having difficulty getting Fedora Core 3 installed on my specific hardware configuration.

Although the install completes fine, when the system first boots and should bring up the first-boot setup assistant, after the startup screen goes away I just get a blank screen with a cursor.

ALT-F1 works fine, and I can do a ctrl-alt-delete and reboot the system cleanly, however I can't get to a command line and after each reboot I end up right back at the same problem.

This system is a clean wipe of the hard drive. Windows XP SP2 was previously installed, although not heavily used. Installation of Debian unstable was also unsuccessful, it hard locked during first boot. KnoppMyth installed and worked fine, until I tried to exit the GUI or reboot (even with sudo reboot/poweroff) - at which point the system would hard lock.

My best guess says I have hardware problems - but I am a bit mystified as there were no issues under WinXP. Am I missing some incompatibility information here?

Complete hardware specs of my system are included below.

Thanks for the assistance!

Case/Logic/Video:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=56-101 -421&depa=0

Shuttle XPC Barebone System for Socket 478 at 533/800MHz FSB Intel CPU, Model ST61G4
Model# ST61G4
Specifications:
CPU Support: Intel Pentium 4/Celeron (Socket 478, Max.FSB 800)
Chipsets: ATI RS300 + IXP150
Memory: 2x 184pin (DDR400 up to 2GB)
IDE: 2x ATA100, 2x SATA
Graphics: Integrate ATI Radeon 9100
Expansion Slot: 1x PCI, 1x AGP 8X
Audio: Realtek ALC 650
LAN: Broadcom 4401
Extension Bay: 2x 3.5", 1x 5.25"
Front Panel Ports: 2x USB, 1x mini 1394, Audio ports, 6 in 1 card reader
Back Panel Ports: 1x COM, 2x PS/2, 1x VGA, 1x S-Video, 1x SPDIF_In, 1x SPDIF_Out, 1x RJ45, 1x 1394, 2x USB, Audio ports
Power Supply: 250W (PFC)
Dimensions: 11.8" x 7.9" x 7.3"

Processor:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116 -171&depa=0

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
Model# BX80546PG3000E
Specifications:
Model: Intel Pentium 4 w/ Hyper Threading
Core: Prescott
Operating Frequency: 3.0GHz
FSB: 800MHz
Cache: L1/12K+16K; L2/1MB
Voltage: 1.25V - 1.525V
Process: 0.09Micron
Socket: Socket 478
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Warranty: 3-year MFG

Memory:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141 -424&depa=0

Kingston 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail
Model#  KVR400X64C3A/512
Specifications:
Manufacturer: Kingston
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 3-3-3
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Warranty: Lifetime

Capture Card:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=15-116 -609&depa=0
("new model")

Hauppauge PCI Video Recorder, TV/FM Tuner Card, Model "WinTV PVR 350"
Model#  990
Specifications:
Interface: PCI
Ports In: TV In+FM In+S-Video/Composite In+Remote Receiver In
Remote Control: IR Remote Control
Accessories: Remote Control, Remote Receiver

Hard Drive:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144 -309&depa=0

Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, MODEL WD2500JB, OEM Drive Only
Model# WD2500JB
Specifications:
Capacity: 250GB
Average Seek Time: 8.9 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100
Features: High-Performance with 8MB Buffer

Keyboard/Mouse:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=23-126 -168&depa=0

Logitech Cordless Internet Pro Desktop -OEM
Model#  967461-0403
Specifications:
Interface: USB
Number Of Keys: 104 keys + 8 Function keys
Wireless Technology: RF

Wireless USB:

Dell TrueMobil USB Wireless interface

Optical Drive:

2X DVD-ROM, pulled from and old Apple G3 B&W - Panasonic I think.