Re: FC2 - NIC firewall?

Dave Pisarek wrote:

I have a public IP the WAN side of the router and the workstation is
assigned a 192.168.100 addy that is allowed through the router. Not
sure what is causing this because I can telnet to the workstation from
the router on port 22 and get an openssh response. Just traffic coming
from the outside world gets connection refused when attenpting to ssh.
This is why i thought it was firewall issue or something to that
effect.

You're top posting. Some folks around here frown on that.

Your router can hit your box because it knows where it is. A machine somewhere out on the internet can hit your router because it has a public IP and therefore knows where it is. Your machine only has a private IP, so its invisible in the direction from Internet to your machine. You can see out from your machine because your router is probably NATing the traffic to its IP address.

To be able to hit your internal machine from the outside world, you have to give your internal machine a public IP address, or tell your router to port forward SSH traffic to the internal address.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill@xxxxxxx