Re: RHEL redistribution..

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 06:45, WipeOut wrote:

> Ok.. So the simple answer to the question is that RHEL is
> redistributable provided the RedHat trademarks are removed meaning that
> a copy (copied CD or ISO image) of original RHEL is not permitted to be
> redistributed because the RedHat trademarks would still be in place..
>
> Does that sound about right?

I think it is slightly more complicated.  As I understand it, what you
buy when you pay for RHEL is not the software itself but the service
contract that goes with it, and a part of this contract specifies
that you may only load the software on one machine for each copy that
you buy.  Personally, I don't see how to reconcile a contract like that
with section 6 of the GPL which states that additional restrictions
cannot be imposed, but perhaps it really only applies to non-GPL'd
parts of the package. In a practical sense it would be easier to
use one of the systems where someone else has rebuilt the free parts
instead of stripping the non-free items yourself.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx