Re: Linux and Spywares - lack of reading

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 22:41, jdow wrote:
> From: "jdow" <jdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > From: "Jeff Vian" <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> > aren't
> Linux?

> > or

> They had another reference today - it was a spyware application. If a
> spyware can be tossed onto the machine then a rootkit can, also.
>
> http://news.com.com/Spyware+takes+aim+at+Mozilla+browsers/2100-7349_3-5569635.html
>
> {^_^}

The recent exploit I read about was used more in phishing scams.  They
used the internationalization features to display certificates and
prompts that looked like they came from legit sources so the users would
click on them.

The article above did not go into much detail but sounds like it is a
combination of the exploit which gets the users to click on accepting a
download of a program.

Why don't they just disable the whole function of downloading plugins
via the browser?  It would be more secure to make the user go an extra
step or two in order to get to the point that code executes on the
system if they had to exit out to a different application.  At least
that way the user would know that something was going on instead of just
clicking away blindly at the browser.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx