Re: newbie in trouble - recovering fstab

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
Mark, thanks for the reply

Boot your rescue CD, go to the command prompt and mount your disk. When
the disk is mounted chroot with this command:

chroot /mnt/sysimage

In trying to boot in linux rescue from CD1 I get: "An error occured trying to mount some or all of your system. Some of it may be mounted under /mnt/sysimage"

But when I look in /mnt all there is is "/runtime" and "/source" no
"/sysimage". Naturally enough
# mount /mnt/sysimage
doesn't work (can't remember the exact error message - something about
/mnt/sysimage not existing)

So, I'm not getting very far yet...

Duncan

that doesn't sound good at all. unless I'm mistaken it sounds like you've got filesystem damage and the cd rescue routine is having a lot of trouble finding critical bits of the filesystem to mount things properly.

After you've booted the CD and entered the rescue portion exactly what are you doing next?

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996