Re: Advice on external backup of a Linux server.

On 10 Feb 2005, at 23:37, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

LVM2 snapshots allow you to backup live filesystems. Usually, you shouldn't backup a live (i.e. mounted and being used) filesystem with utilities like "tar" and company, since they can't lock files being backed up to avoid changes made by running processes.

A LVM2 snapshot, however, guarantees consistency as it "takes an image" of the filesystem and freezes it which can be backed up to tape, or to remote storage without worrying about possible inconsistencies caused by running processed modifying data.

That seems very good, where can I find more information about this? Or what should I google for exactly?

Maybe you can get started by reading this:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html