Re: sound problem

Globe Trotter wrote:

I haven't followed this thread, so I don't know if this is relevant but I have
a Dell Precision 650 dual processor, and I have a problem every time I
reinstall the OS under the 2.6 kernel.

The solution for me (as per Terry Cole) has been to install and run alsaconf.
"For some reason the code for alsaconf is still in the alsa-utils source RPM - it's even compiled, but the spec instructions delete it before installation. So one way to get hold of alsaconf is to download the alsa-utils source RPM (currently alsa-utils-1.0.3-1.src.rpm) and extract the tarball from that. This is done with:
rpmbuild --recompile alsa-utils-1.0.3-1.src.rpm
At that point the source will be in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/alsa-utils-1.0.3

The usual configure/make/make install will then get you a working alsaconf."

Thanks and best wishes!

Hmm... that's another possiblity indeed... for ALSA, as much as I would like to, I am *forced* to dump RPMs for pure old fashioned installations from source... Why?? They strip down the packages (uselessly, IMO), and as such when problems occur you are left with very little to do anything. I know I could build my own pakcages... but I'm way too lazy, LOL.