re: Sound problem

Mark Thomas wrote:

Newbie asks...
I have turned on all muted controls in the Volume Control and set
them to
full volume. Lsmod is loaded. The card is a Sound Blaster Audgy 2 2Z.
After
running the sound detection software, adjusting the volume settings etc,
many times, there still is no sound at all. I even tried lying to the
system
and told it I could hear the sound just to see if it made any
difference,
but it did not. Bt under FC1, it worked.

I have an Audigy2 card and I need to mute the 'Analogue/Digital Output
Jack' to get any sound.

david

Thanks for replying, David. I have started to get things going. I cannot
play a CD., but I was able to import a CD and have the files play back.
Unlike your settings, I find I cannot mute "Analog/Digital Output." Nor
can I mute the 2nd PCM slider.

Now if I can get the CD playing working. In an Audigy2, should you be
able to hear the playing CD in the Audigy headphone jack? I am thinking
that there might be a hardware setup problem.

Mark

Is the card setup in /etc/modprobe.conf to save and restore An oldie but a goodie - is the cable correctly installed between cd/sound card. I use gnome-alsamixer to do adjustments where kmix or alsamixer won't but I think it's not around anymore. I use to have the problem of sound at the startup of kde,then when showing the desktop it stopped mid .wav. Have you tried www.alsa-project.org lots of info

david
I have solved my problem. I noticed that the sound card was connected to the CD player using a digital connection. I suppose that the Audigy does not convert digital to audio, but keeps them separate. I connected the two together using an additional analog cable and everything works.

Thank you
Mark
.