Re: Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

On 6 Feb 2005, at 19:32, Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:

I still don't get why are Web forums so dreaded, but that's just me... I haven't seen a *single* reason why not to make it so... Unless, of course you still want to recieve 500+ e-mail messages if you are away of your computer for a day or two and could not cancel mail delivery temporarily (if you don't get the digest, of course). To each their own, I just don't get why people don't like the web forums idea... Maybe a private NTTP server would be more suitable for this, where Red Hat could even set the caducity of messages. You still need a helper application to read the messages like Evolution, Thunderbird or whatever, and still avoid having *your* inbox flooded.

The main problem I see with a web interface is that's usually difficult to find things as search capabilities are limited by the remote engine and/or remote storage policy. By using NNTP I can stay informed of new messages, I can use a nive GUI application of my choice (like Thunderbird) and *I* decide the storage policy: if I want to keep every message for several years, I can.

NNTP is much more flexible for me.

And, it /can/ have a web interface, for those who like web fora.

--
Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student