Re: FC3 on Toshiba Satellite A15-S129 Laptop?

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 11:11:25 -0500, Rick Bilonick <rab@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When you say firmware  for the card, do you mean you have to install
> code into the card? (I've heard of updating firmware in certain types of
> hardware.) I was thinking of buying a DWL G650 to increase the
> connection speed.

I was reading yesterday (though I can't find the link right now) that
modern wlan cards expect the driver to load their firmware for them on
startup, there is RAM set aside on the cards for this.  Apparently it
is to reduce problems with firmware/driver mismatches and problems
with out of date firmware.

With regard to your earlier problems - did you definitely have the
pcmcia-cs service running?  I know there was a big change with how
pcmcia-cs works with 2.6 kernels rather than 2.4 kernels (in 2.4 the
drivers came with the pcmcia-cs package, in 2.6 the drivers come with
the kernel package - I think).

Rob